Almonds are packed with skin supporting properties. Here are the reasons why almonds are a great bet for beautiful skin. By eating activated nuts you will absorb these nutrients and minerals more easily. Find out why activated nuts are better.
When plants are left out in the elements, they have to protect themselves, so they produce phenols, protective chemicals that serve as antioxidants to repair sun damage or produce a bitter taste to dissuade bugs from eating them. These plant phenols also help protect people against diseases including heart disease and certain cancers. They also offer protection when applied to skin.
Omega-3 fatty acids
In the diet, omega-3 acids help regulate blood sugars, reduce blood pressure, help reduce body fat, maintain muscle mass, support the immune system and increase energy levels and skin radiance. Your body can’t make these essential fatty acids and, after walnuts, almonds are the best nut source, so keep them on your desk or kitchen bench.
This is the building block of skin and almonds are a particularly rich source.
A strong antioxidant which also helps the oil last for longer without preservatives.
In addition to helping cells produce energy and protein, magnesium is believed to counter the effects of stress hormones, which can make you age faster and exacerbate acne.
This mineral helps cells to absorb nutrients.
A perfect skincare ingredient with so many uses!
Almond oil is a perfect skin care ingredient which has many uses. I keep a small bottle handy at all times. Due to its multiple uses, its great to take travelling too.
- Make up remover – use a little on a cotton pad and wipe mascara and make up off the skin
- Body moisturiser – Almond oils’ natural emollient properties make it a beautiful oil for applying to most skin types, particularly skin that tends to be dry or mature. It is best applied after a shower or bath. Dry the skin down, pour a small amount into one palm and then rub palms together and apply lovingly over the whole body.
- Body massage – praised as the main oil by massage therapist, almond oils molecule size makes it a good oil to use in massage as it spreads well but also partly absorbs into the skin. Essential oils can make massage oils even more effective. I choose Young Living essential oils.
- Facial oil – almond should be mixed with another ‘finer’ oil for use as a face oil. Jojoba oil or rosehip oil are good choices.
- Manicure oil – almond oil is a perfect oil to use for strengthening nails. Soak hands in warm water, gentle scrub nails clean, dry hands and file using an emery board. Rub almond oil over filed nails and massage into cuticles to soften them. Wipe up any excess with a clean face towel, homemade face pad or cotton wool pad.
- Beard oil – almond oil is a good oil for using to soften men’s beards! Mixed with a little orange or sandalwood oil adds to the sexiness of the effect of this oil. If you are a man, apply a few drops of oil to freshly trimmed beard. Rub in lovingly and admire the light sheen affect, then kiss your partner and watch them swoon. Better still add a few drops of essential oil like cedarwood, sandalwood or a little lime.
We use almond oil in the Natural Beauty workshops as a base for some of our products. Find out more here.