Hi, I’m glad you’re here. I’m Angela Standley and I’m passionate about so many things but mostly about helping people truly be themselves through healthy living and doing the things they love.
I bet you’re passionate about healthy living too!
But perhaps a little confused about how to live an optimally healthy life? I can relate because I’ve been there too.
With so much conflicting information around it can be overwhelming trying to work out what actually is healthy anymore.
And it infiltrates every aspect of our lives, from the food we buy and eat to the cosmetics and products we put on our skin to what we use to clean our homes.
That’s where I come in. My background in science coupled with training in nutrition and coaching (and naturopathy studies) plus years of research and application means I have a knack in finding the facts and bringing things back to basics creating easy steps to create your (even more) awesome life.
When I was younger I was secretly obsessed with my weight and nothing I did helped. I calorie counted from the age of 13 and suffered humiliation, confusion and frustration when I gained weight through my teens. I suffered with a skin condition for close to ten years. I was embarrassed to shake hands at job interviews or meeting new people. At times I felt ashamed and alone. But I hid it well.
I worked things out for myself through painstaking trial and error plus working with my own mentors and coaches. I learned to nourish my self from a place of love, to make choices that supported my best self, and slowly but surely I started getting great results. My skin cleared, my battle with weight ended and I started to feel truly beautiful.
I now live a life I’ve always dreamed of, doing work I love, feeling great about my body, and fully empowered to overcome any challenge that comes my way. Believe me this was not always the case.
I found yoga at 19 (I’d been exposed at age 6/7 from my grandmother but hadn’t taken it up for myself), which helped me start on a journey of peace with my body – a key move towards my healing.
But I’m not about to start telling you to do yoga – unless you want to, of course (and I have converted a few already!) We are all unique and there’s not one way of eating (diet is a dirty word to me) or one way of living that is right for everyone.
I don’t ever talk strict diets, strict fitness regimes or strict ways of living. The journey towards health is a very individual one but having walked the hard yards and immersed myself in health and lifestyle I certainly can fast track the journey!
You’re already awesome, that’s a given. Let’s get your health and life to match it.
When you work with me I take the stress and guess work out of it. I don’t cram too much in to each session but you get bang for your buck – your time is valuable.
I have a knack for making you feel at ease and inspired to make changes. I’m truly fascinated by what makes you tick, the path you’ve walked and where you are going. My insatiable need to learn keeps me buzzing along right to the end.
Together we’ll forge a path that’s clear and at a speed that’s right for you. We wont hang out in areas that you don’t need to, unless I see a blind spot when I will give you the kindest but direct nudge. You’ll thank me, I promise.
We don’t do calories or strict diets or even a quick fix – although you can start to see and feel results straight away. It’s about creating a step-by-step approach that works for you and your unique situation and goals.
For more information, click on this link: Work with Me
More on me… if you’re a curious type, like I am…
I’ve walked a journey seeking inner truth and personal development that took me through various countries, groups, trainings and experiences. Throughout my late teens and twenties I battled with emotional eating and struggled with my weight. I lost myself in destructive relationships and made poor choices that resulted in hurting me physically, mentally and spiritually. I’d given away my power more times than I like to remember and ended up denigrating my true nature.
I vividly recall my twin brother holding me up to a mirror encouraging me to tell myself that I love myself, but I couldn’t do it. I felt blocked, ashamed and ugly. But it was in this moment that I saw the gap between how I felt about myself in and what was available – true self-acceptance. From my early twenties I sought out guidance in the form of various types of coaching such as Gestalt, psychology, kinesiology and other modalities including intensive personal development group work. I have been on a journey towards wholeness, towards understanding why I felt like a fish out of water, and why I never seemed to be able to get what I wanted.
Now I embrace my differences, my nuances, my full natural beauty and I’m passionate about working with others to do the same.
I bring all my life experiences to each session and dedicate everything I have to working with people in a structured yet intuition way to create the changes needed to create a more awesome life.
Before pursuing my passion of health and nutrition I worked as an environmental and sustainability specialist in areas of conservation, community education and communications. I still work part time in a role I love as communications officer for a large environmental organisation.
Slice of pivotal life events – the nitty grittty!
- Born in Paddington Sydney Australia to bohemian parents, an architect and teacher. Shared the womb with my twin brother now a builder, husband and father. Spent the first three months of my life on the south coast of NSW in an old school masters house my father renovated; The majority of my teens were spent getting up to mischief in the concrete jungle of inner city suburb Paddington, Sydney amongst some of Sydney’s most creative and expressive characters at the time.
- In my later teens I travelled through Europe & Morocco for six months – visiting my mother’s and grandmother Elisabeth’s homeland Austria where I frolicked in the spring flowers, ate apples from her old village and talked broken German with her old friend.
- Attended my first yoga class in Bondi Junction Sydney (a mecca for Yoga since the 70s), recall doing a wobbly headstand and having no idea what the whole world of yoga was about, although it illuminated to me a great disconnect between my body and my mind.
- I worked at a Hare Krishna restaurant as the ‘door bitch’ while I saved up money to travel overseas to India and Nepal. I shared house with five other good friends in an old mansion in Kings Cross where we made movies, cooked in the old Kookaburra cookers and dreamt up our big plans.
- Six months travelling alone through India and Nepal (I certainly didn’t remain alone!) – through ashrams, practicing yoga, meditation, spending time where Ghandi had watching the sunrise through the Himalayas. Was given my first mala beads of sandal and silver. Climbed five days to Anapurna basecamp in Nepal, got very sick; sat with sadhus; spent weeks in an ashram and suffered a hard knock in life when I realized that not everyone who appears ‘spiritual’ is spiritual! Absorbed energy from temples and sacred sites, rode camels in the desert, drank from the Ganges River (oh how I wish I didn’t!). Volunteered at Mother Teresa’s house of the dying; shaved off all my hair for the experience of liberation that it gave me.
- Finished studying a Bachelor Science UNSW and jumped into my trusty stead (a 1976 Volvo stationwagon) to travel along the turquoise blue coast from Sydney to Cooktown along four wheel drive tracks. Through every National Park I could find, the Daintree, four days walk along Hinchinbrook Island, two months in Kuranda.
- At age 24 hosted popular health and lifestyle radio show Health Grooves on Byron Bay’s community radio station BayFM while living in glorious Byron Bay. I spent seven years in the region working with young people on conservation programs and community development. Studied visual arts, journalism and media at university and generally had a ball frolicking in the naturally and culturally rich Northern Rivers region.
- I cried all my way to Sydney at age 29 where I stayed for close to a decade pursuing a successful career in sustainability education, community engagement and communication. All the while pursuing my passion for health and lifestyle – studying yoga, massage therapy, communication, spiritual development and movement/dance.
- Finally, I’m living back where my heart is, this time with a darling man, a heart of passion and a life I love.
Some other things you may not know about me:
- I’ve cycled through Sri Lanka raising funds for rainforest protection and community development;
- I studied permaculture and raw foods in Hawaii where I met my darling Man;
- I’ve spent time in the Amazon jungle;
- And many moons in Indonesia on the Mentawai islands and Bali.
- In 2015 I was a Wanderlust Oz Wayfarer
- I now live in beautiful Byron Bay hinterland in a cabin surrounded by lush rainforest, fresh water swimming hole, rainwater and community.
- I’m an ENFP.
- If you know me personally, you’ll know I am voracious learner. I’m currently studying an Adv Diploma in Naturopathy (plus a Herbal Medicine course). I hold a Bachelor Science (environmental management), Environmental Management Grad Dip , Visual Arts Certificate III, Yoga Teacher Level 1 & Level 2 Byron Yoga Centre, Massage Therapy Certificate IV, Permaculture Design Certificate and I’m Nia White Belt teacher in the making.
Now I’d love to know more about you!